Sri Narain Deo Rao Pandhari Pandey, resident of Village-Pusad, District- Yavatmal, Maharashtra has developed this method of making compost
In this method that is Navdev compost, a brick structure is prepared of 2 meter Wide, 3.5 meter Long and Height of 1 meter.
Structure is constructed with cement so that it can be used for longer period. Some holes are left in the walls so that the water can be sprinkled at the time when it is required and air circulation can be maintained.
In this structure, crop residue obtained from the field and house is allowed to rot with soil and water. The quality of rot manure, so prepared, is very high and waste unusable material is used.
Method of Construction of Structure
- 9 inch thick bricks are use to construct the structure of above mentioned size.
- In first 3 rows, there are no holes.
- In 4th, 6th, 8th and 10th row, a 5 inch wide hole is constructed at an interval of 1 foot.
- Again, no hole is left in 11th, 12th and 13th row.
- Bricks are laid in the bottom.
Method of filling the Structure and Material
|1.||Waste||20- 25 quintal|
|2.||Soil||5- 10 quintal|
|3.||Cow Dung||3- 4 quintal|
|4.||Water||800- 1200 liter|
|5.||P.S.B. Culture||4 packet|
|7.||Cow urine||10 liter|
|9.||Ash of fire( Hawan)||100 Kg|
- 40-50 kg dung is dissolved in 100-150 liter water and solution is poured on the surface.
- 8 inch thick layer of waste material is laid and pressed.
- Again 30 -40 liter dung dissolved in 100-125 liter water is poured on the waste material and then approximately 100 kg soil is laid on it.
- This process is repeated till the material is filled up to 10-12 inch height of the structure.
- At the end, the structure is closed from the top by thick layer of dung and soil.
- After 70-80 days, 15-20 holes are made with the help of a thick stick.
- A solution is prepared by dissolving 2 packets of P.S.B., Azobactor culture, 2 kg gur and 100 gm ash in 10 liter cow urine.
- This solution is poured through the holes and holes are closed again.
- After 30-40 days, the manure is prepared. Thus the manure is completely prepared in 100-120 days.
Method of taking our the manure and its storage
- After 100-120 days, take out the manure and filter it by sieve.
- Separate the unrot portion.
- Cover the manure and keep in shady place.
- The unrot material is again used in filling. Thus, well rot manure is obtained.
- Approximately 100 quintal manure is obtained in a year by 3 fillings.
Availability of Nutrients in Manure
- Micro nutrient as per requirement of the crop.
Quantity and Method of Use of Manure
- In pulses and oil seed crops, 50-60 quintal per hectare.
- In wheat paddy, 90-100 quintal per hectare.
- In vegetable crops, 120-150 quintal per hectare manure is used at the time of first irrigation.
- If in a field, above manure is used continuously for 3 years and crop cycle is followed, the quantity of chemical fertilizer used in first year can be reduced by 50%
- Second year 75% and
- 100% in third year and maximum yield can be obtained.
Benefits from use of Nadev Compost
If Nadev compost is used once in a year before taking a crop and used successively for 3 years, following impact is found on the field and crop:
- In 4th year, use of chemical fertilizer can be completely closed.
- In soil, water retention capacity is increased and even if one irrigation is less applied, good yield can be obtained.
- Insect/disease menace can be reduced by 50-75%.
- Taste of crop obtained is good and sold in the market at 10-20% higher price.
- Soil can be saved by converting it into waste land/barren land.
- Cost of farming can be reduced by 20%.